Export and import prices decreased in the Czech Republic in January

Published: 05.04.2018 Related countries:  U.S.A. U.S.A.

Czech Statistical Office: In January 2018, export import prices decreased by 0.1%, import prices dropped 0.6%, the terms of trade figures reached 100.5%, month-on-month. Export prices declined 4.1%, import prices fell 5.8%, the terms of trade reached 101.8%, year-on-year.

 

Month-on-month comparison:

 

EXPORTS: export prices decreased by 0.1% in January (+0.4% in December). The change of the total m-o-m export price index was led mainly by a 0.5% price drop in ‘miscellaneous manufactured articles’. Prices were falling in ‘food and live animals’ (-0.7%), ‘chemicals and related products’ (-0.2%), and in ‘machinery and transport equipment’ (-0.1%). Biggest price growth was registered in ‘crude materials, inedible, except fuels’ (+1.4%) and ‘mineral fuels, lubricants and related materials’ (+1.1%).

 

IMPORTS: import prices dropped 0.6% in January following a 0.4% advance in December.
The change of the total m-o-m import price index was driven mainly by a 1.2% price decline
in ‘machinery and transport equipment’. Prices in ‘miscellaneous manufactured articles’ edged down 1.3%, ‘food and live animals’ prices decreased by 1.6%. ‘Mineral fuels, lubricants and related materials’ advanced significantly 2.3% while ‘crude materials, inedible, except fuels’ grew 1.7%,

 

The terms of trade increased to the value of 100.5% (100.0% in December). Significant positive values of terms of trade were reached by prices of ‘machinery and transport equipment’ (101.1%), ‘miscellaneous manufactured articles’ (100.8%), and ‘manufactured goods classified chiefly by material’ (100.5%). Negative values of terms of trade were reached in ‘mineral fuels, lubricants and related materials’ (98.8%) and ‘crude materials, inedible, except fuels’ (99.7%).

 

 

 

Year-on-year comparison:

 

EXPORTS: mainly due to strengthening of koruna against euro and U.S. dollar export prices fell 4.1% (-2.8% in December). A 5.1% price decline in ‘machinery and transport equipment’ contributed to the decrease in overall y-o-y export price index. ‘Miscellaneous manufactured articles’ prices dropped 5.2% and ‘mineral fuels, lubricants, and related products’ fell 12.9% (mainly electricity). Prices were rising in ‘beverages and tobacco’ (+1.8%) and ‘crude materials, inedible, except fuels’ (+0.9%),  

 

IMPORTS: import prices decreased by 5.8% after a 4.2% decline in December. The fall of the total annual import price index was primarily driven by a 8.3% drop in ‘machinery and transport equipment’. Prices also fell in ‘food and live animals’ (-7.9%) and ‘miscellaneous manufactured articles’ (-6.9%). Only price growth was registered in ‘beverages and tobacco’ (+2.7%).

 

The terms of trade figures increased to the value of 101.8% (101.5% in December) staying in the positive values for the fourth successive month. Among significant groups, positive values were reached by prices of ‘food and live animals’ (104.8%), ‘machinery and transport equipment’  (103.5%), and ‘miscellaneous manufactured articles’ (101.8). ‘Mineral fuels, lubricants, and related products’ reached negative values of terms of trade – 90.7%.

 

 

 

Published by the team of CzechTrade foreign office in Chicago.

Source:

 

https://www.czso.cz/csu/czso/ari/export-and-import-price-indices-january-2018